Translate

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Happy Anniversary on Netflix Reminds Me Why I Hate Rom-Coms

80143362-1
Oh my God I hate these characters.
And the hearts are upside down!
HaQuirky!

This movie just did so many bad things for my life. I've written stories that were better than this and they will never make me any money, nor will they entertain anyone other than my immediately family, so that sucks. I enjoy writing, I like it so much that even if I'm watching a poorly written movie that I am not into and steadily growing bored with, I'll keep watching it just to be able to write about it and post it so that nearly no one will read it. Why? I like writing stories number one, but number two is that I like to write in general, so I find myself occasionally writing reviews of Netflix movies. Is there any benefit to this other than the fact that it gives me a reason to write when I can't think of a good story to write about? No, I got nothing out of forcing myself to sit through this movie for the sole purpose of writing a negative review of it later. Were I not going to write a review of this movie I would not have watched all of it, I would have checked out much earlier, probably about 30 or 40 minutes in is when I checked to see how much longer I had.


It feels like this movie was written by someone who has seen too many movies and thought that since those movies were good and popular they'd just have their characters act like every other character in every movie and react to situations from other movies in way that those characters reacted; and all the while they're thinking that all of it is funny and cute and worst of all - good. It's not. It's annoying and the very definition of banal. The whole time I was watching this it felt like someone found an old story I wrote when I was in high school and thought it was good enough to be made into a movie.

I have no idea really, maybe the people who wrote this and thought it was good enough to make and even had the drive to bring it all together were all of them highschoolers. If so good on you and this whole thing takes on a different tone, if this was all put together by an adult - let's say an adult who should know this movie is no good should be no younger than 25 - then you should know better, seriously.

The talking in this movie, the conversations had, are ridiculous and rather insulting. Sure I can see people talking like they do in this movie, I've known people who talk like the characters in this movie, hell years ago I'm sure at times I'd talk like that myself - but even then, when I did, it was only for a short time before all of those involved would laugh at how we were talking and - what we thought - cinematic (meaning cool) we felt.

Can you imagine being of the mind that talking and acting like characters from a movie was the right way to be while at the same time talking about starting a family? A child being raised by a couple who thought characters in movies was how people were supposed to be would be a child born to lose.
Netflix has this tagged as offbeat - it's not, its cliched in all ways; romantic - it's not, they're talking about breaking up the whole time, unless you think it's romantic to watch two people talk about how they hate each other and are unhappy and break up, get back together, then break up again then sure it's romantic; they also have it labeled as sentimental - it is, boy oh boy is it ever sentimental, but not in a good emotional moving way, sentimental in how they continue to flash back at their good times and bad times for no purpose other than to show the audience that these two truly don't know what they want nor what will make them happy.

Well I do, and it's not this movie.

On a side note, I know no one that has cancer so I have no point of reference to this, but if MY dad had cancer and I was going with him to chemo I wouldn't make / let him drive ME to his chemo appt. That just seems shitty, but that's just me. Now if she made him drive her home after his chemo appt. - now THAT would have been insane and maybe would have saved the movie but who knows . . . probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment