Translate

Friday, February 14, 2014

I "Liked It" Fun Size: About as exciting as mac and cheese

Fun Size (2012) PosterFun Size wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it was gonna be. I rather enjoy the whole Party-of-the-Year sub-genre in movies. It’s not gonna be good, +1 is definitely the exception to the rule, but you make so many movies of a certain type you’re bound to eventually get one that has hints of originality. This one has nothing original about it, and to be fair, this movie is not for me. It’s not made with my interests in mind, it’s not made with any adult’s interest in mind at all, this is a kid’s movie. A teen movie. So why watch it, knowing that it ain’t for me? Well because of the whole party of the year thing. There isn’t a single party of the year movie that is for me, at least not yet, but wouldn’t it be great if there was. A grown up version of some party of the year, but not stupid (of course) but really good. Hell, even if it was bad, I’d watch it.

            Still, this movie wasn’t that bad, but it came close, and then the young guy who works at the gas station showed up. His character was funny and seemed genuine and wasn’t annoying. The movie did not use him as well as they should have though, and I don’t mean make the whole movie about him, but his story was so vague that what details we did know about his mission and drive was promising but in the end held no punch.

            Instead we followed the nerd who by the end had changed and blah blah blah.

            I think what bothers me most about movies like this is when there are moments that could be better than average, like with the gas station guy, or the other sub-plot of the little boy who doesn’t / can’t talk because of his father’s death. Stuff like that, things that could actually add depth and personality to the people, and it’s all brushed over for the tired story of young love between nerd and cute girl. Then, to take a tired plot like the kids in love and just add it to the pile of other movies exactly the same is such an offense to the audience – if the audience is me, or any other adult person.


             That’s all I got on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment