Translate

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

I "Really Liked It" Full Tilt Boogie: Has it really been 18 years since From Dusk Til Dawn?

Full Tilt Boogie (1997) PosterI can’t remember how long ago it was that I last saw From Dusk 'Til Dawn, but after watching Full-Tilt Boogie I found myself wanting to see the movie again. It has been too long since I’ve seen From Dusk 'Til Dawn, and to me the highlights of this documentary are the clips of the movie. Every time they play a clip of the movie I couldn’t help but smile with memories of seeing this movie in the theatre and thinking I knew what I was getting myself into and then realizing that I had no idea at all.

            Full-Tilt Boogie is also good at showing what life is like while making a movie, and not just for the actors or the director or producers, but for the real workers as well. Actually, the documentary follows more of the people behind the scenes than it does the big names in the movie.

            The documentary does a good job of balancing between the people before the camera and those behind. Come to this documentary for George Clooney, Quentin Tarantino, and Robert Rodriguez, but stay for the lives of the people who build the sets, run errands, and serve the food. There will be romance, tension, and hilarity!

            Those who spend their time on camera talking about the horrible hours they’re working, or just got done working, as well as the temperature they were working in, and the poor food, still give the impression that they are loving every minute of it.

            When this movie came out I was working in a warehouse with no AC, and summers in Kansas can get not only hot but humid, so it sucked bad, but it was fun because of the guys I worked with. The same guys that went to this movie with me and who had even less knowledge about the movie than I did, but loved the whole thing. It is definitely the people you work with that make work bearable or not. It’s a marriage of sorts, I mean, you’re with these people probably more than you are with your family, and if you don’t get along with them then going to work is nothing short of a chore instead of a joy.

            Those guys that I used to work with are no longer around, and now I work in an office and it just isn’t the same. I think maybe if you work in kind of a miserable situation – like the warehouse – with other people who are suffering with you, it helps everyone look at it in a way that helps everyone get through it. In the office things ain’t so bad, not as bad as the warehouse, so the good feelings that we had in the warehouse just aren’t there.

            I say all this because watching the people behind the scenes working on this movie, complain about it all but still seem happy, I can relate and honestly kind of envy them.

            I’ve never worked on a movie but I get the impression that this documentary does a good job of showing what it’s like. My wife and I talked about it while we watched it; we commented on how much of a weirdo Quentin Tarantino is, how horny the girls working on the movie appeared to be, and how much working on a movie would probably suck. We talked, and lost track of when the movie switched from the making of From Dusk 'Til Dawn to something about people wanting to get the crew on the movie under a union? It was interesting, and showed something that my wife and I never thought much about, and after seeing it we realized that we didn’t really care much. We could see both sides, and then the movie just kind of dropped the union thing anyway when nothing really came of it. It could have been taken out of the documentary without any big loss.

            The documentary was rather long, and with the edit of the union story it would probably have been a perfect length.

            I was pleasantly surprised by Full-Tilt Boogie, more than just a movie about the making of From Dusk 'Til Dawn, it’s a movie about the people who made not just this movie but all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment