Translate

Monday, February 17, 2014

Netflix Streaming: I "Really Liked It" Love Crime: The ending almost ruined the movie for me though.

Love Crime (2010) PosterLove Crime, a movie I hadn’t heard of before, and probably never would have watched were in not for the American version having just come out via Netflix’s powerful stream, and even then I maybe would have watched it for Noomi Rapace, who is an amazing actress, but it wasn’t until I saw that Brian DePalma directed it that I knew I was going to check it out.

            Brian DePalma’s movies are not what they used to be, that’s for sure, but no one’s perfect, and the longer your career the bigger your odds of making a stinker are. He’s made some classics, so for every Snake Eyes, The Black Dahlia, or Bonfire of the Vanities, there’s Dressed to Kill, Body Double, Femme Fatale, and Raising Cain, to name a few of his good ones. Of course the poor ones are the most recent but none of them will make me avoid one of his movies (even though I should have avoided The Black Dahlia, that movie was really bad).

            I digress, for I did not see his version first, instead I saw the French version.

            I’ve had a thing for Kristin Scott Thomas ever since Four Weddings and a Funeral, I always thought she was attractive in an older woman “British” type of way. She is even now still attractive, or can be. She is not attractive in this movie, which threw me off. I think it was her acting; she was really just so good as the bitch boss that I didn’t like her – like, at all. Her toying with her assistant was kind of funny in the way that things are funny when they happen to someone else and not yourself, but still it was weird seeing Kristin Scott Thomas being like that. It wasn’t cool, like David Hyde Pierce acting against type, it was a betrayal! KST (as I’m sure she’d be okay with me calling her) is always nice and sexy, never mean! There's nothing sexy about a mean KST! The other girl, though . . . well, mean or nice, Ludivine Sagnier is sexy no matter what her attitude is.

            I looked her up and found that I had seen The Devil’s Double, Swimming Pool, Mesrine, and A Monster in Paris (voice), all with her in them. I don’t recall her in those movies (Swimming Pool my wife and I saw many years ago, and I vaguely remember her as the girl the older woman is fascinated by but not very well), but I should because she is an amazing actress.

            The two women may share the picture for this movie but this movie is entirely Ludivine’s. Her character’s change is believable, as a quiet trusting girl who is continually pushed by her cut throat boss, she changes into someone who decides to look out for herself and do whatever she can to get ahead. Things don’t go too smoothly for her at first which is one reason to keep watching, because you don’t know if what she does to try and get the upper hand will work or just make her boss even more pissed at her.

            I didn’t think it would go in the direction it went about halfway through the movie, and things continued to happen that made me wonder what the plan was, but the pay off was well worth it. To go through the time we did with her character, all the while wondering what her plan was, to the point that you almost start to doubt that there really is a plan at all – and then you finally get the reward and it is pretty fun and worth the wait.

            Then the movie ends, and the last five minutes of the movie, just about ruin the whole thing. Another development that kind of gets resolved but why!? Why is it even there? Why did that need to happen? It really almost ruined the whole movie for me, to me it negated everything that she had gone through and made her change totally pointless.


            The movie was well done, and I can see DePalma’s interest in it as it is a good base for the kind of stories that he tells; even with his recent history with his movies, I’m anxious to see what he does with a remake of this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment